Thursday, February 17, 2011

Culture Immigrant Heritage

I come from a family where some of my ancestors are descendants from Spain and others are originally from Spain.

My paternal great-great grandparents were originally from Spain. They came from Spain and settled in Coamo, Puerto Rico in the nineteenth century. Each generation from there and on were born and raised in Puerto Rico.
In 1983 my paternal grandmother moved with her family to the state of Virginia. By the time they moved to Virginia they were U.S. citizens and did not encountered any problems with immigration. However, they faced many language barriers, 20 years later they have asimilated the American ways of life and culture and consider Virginia there home.

The father of my maternal great grandmother, Flor de Maria Colom was originally from Spain. Her father came to Puerto Rico and met the women who later became his wife. Flor de Maria Colom, my great grandmother moved to Florida and by the time she decided to leave, she had America citizenship and so she did not faced any problems with immigration as well.

Both of families from my mother and father who had moved to the U.S. had consider the U.S. their home but their feelings of pride towards Puerto Rico had never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment