Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Journal

Some Germans were forced to immigrate to the U.S. Others were encourage by U.S. government officials to come to America to settle. In my case I was encourage by my family to immigrate to the United States for a better life. One of the reasons my family and I decided to immigrate to the U.S. was in search of safety, this was due to the extremely violent conditions in which Germany was living in. Freedom of speech was another reason I decided to immigrate to the U.S.


Before my family and I arrived to the U.S. we first needed to stop on Ellis island. On Ellis island German immigrants including us were checked or supervised. The supervision or check that was made to my family and I and all German immigrants was done to see who was allowed or not allowed into the U.S. What they did was checking what person could be a good laborer in the U.S. and so I needed to go up and down stairs for them to see if I was physically good and prepare. As you can read, this people in Ellis island were doing the checking process in exchange of benefiting the U.S.


Once having granted access to the U.S. my family and I decided to settled in the southern part of Minnesota. Not just us moved to the southern part of Minnesota but that many more other German immigrants settled in Minnesota too, making it a place for Germans. Later, the southern part of Minnesota became a popular place for Germans to settle. Than by the majority of the population in southern Minnesota being German population, the place became prosperous for German culture.


Since we were already American citizens and money was needed, neither did my family or I worried about being educated. German economy depended on agriculture. I worked as a farmer in large plantations and worked really hard since I first got to the U.S. to sustain and make my family profitable. My family and I were considered good farmers because we were steady and we had an efficient way of farming. This experience encourage me to keep up living life no matter how many obstacles were in the way because by them I learned how valuable is life and how important is to reach goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment